Twenty five years ago, I travelled with paper tickets, travellers cheques/checks and lots of real cash. We organised to meet people by letter and I sent postcards home.
Now, a credit card and a smartphone are all I really need to organise my travel world.
As I approach the end of the year, I am reflecting on what have been my essential travel tools. These are the ones I could not live without:
- Kayak and Skyscanner – Nothing beats these two fare and accommodation finding tools for getting the best deals. Their interfaces give me flexibility over destinations, dates and airlines, that are unbeatable I have saved thousands of dollars through them
- Tripadvisor- the best hotel and attraction website ever. I do not book any hotels without consulting here first and I have never been disappointed
- Pintrips – my newest discovery. Think pinboard for organising the best fare options!
- Tripit – I think this app is magical. Add a flight, hotel or activity and Tripit creates an itinerary that I can print, email or keep on my phone. I can be updated as to cancellations, flight alternatives, arrival and departure gates
- Google maps – I still prefer them to Apple maps or any other sort of map program
- XE currency exchange lets me quickly calculate currencies on and off line
- Yelp helps me find services and restaurants in most cites around the world
- SitOrSquat – in some countries finding a lavatory is an art form
- Flightmemory.com – lets me track my flights after I have done them. Frankly these guys are in need of an upgrade and if I was not locked in, I would switch to flightdiary.net/
- Great Circle mapper – this air mapping website is not an essential travel tool. Its just for fun lets me imagine flights, calculate mileages
What can you not live without while travelling?