It is half way through August and we are debating where to spend New Year’s Eve. Last year was in Hobart, Australia. Two years ago, we saw the festivities in Adelaide, Australia and three years ago found us in DaNang, Vietnam.
Other places I have spent NY eve include: Aberdeen, Scotland; Brisbane, Australia; Dallas, TX, USA; Ibadan, Nigeria; Melbourne, Australia; San Salvador, USA and Sydney, Australia. Future options are: New York, Paris and Reyjavik.
This year the destination needs to be a short hop from Bangkok, Thailand as we only have four days. The options so far are:
- Hua Hin, Thailand (HHQ-90mi):- just south of Bangkok this is one of my all time favourite spots in the country and accessible by car, train or coach. Sadly made notorious by the recent bombing there but that won’t spoil this relaxing place.
- Chiang Mai, Thailand (CNX-369mi)– one of my favourite places in Thailand. Easy to get to with an overnight train from Bangkok and a lovely Bangkok Airways flight for the return
- Vientiane, Laos (VTE-320mi):- a new destination in a country I have never visited
- Penang (PEN-577mi) an easy nonstop plane ride from Bangkok and a great place to be with its food, culture and cultures
- Boracay, or Cebu The Philippines (MPH-1487mi):– some really great fares with Malaysia in Business Class from Bangkok to another new destination
- Colombo, Sri Lanka (CMB-1487mi):- an opportunity to try Sri Lankan airlines to a place I have never ever seen
- Osaka, Japan (ITM-2606mi):- another new destination for me with the opportunity to fly Japan Airlines or ANA, a treat I have never experienced!
- Dubai (DXB -3000 miles):- some good airfares on one of my favourite airlines with a slightly longer trip to a place like no other
Thoughts? Where are you heading? Where have you had New Year’s Eve in the past?