The American Red Cross has a free tornado app which may be useful for people living in or visiting a US tornado area:
- Southern states’ tornado season is typically from March to May
- In the Southern Plains, it is May and early June
- On the Gulf Coast, tornadoes occur most often during the spring.
- Northern Plains, Northern states and upper Midwest, peak season is June or July
- Tornado Alley which covers the northern region of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, the eastern edge of Colorado, southwest tip of South Dakota and the southern edge of Minnesota have tornadoes in the late US spring.
The Tornado app has :
- Clear step by step actions for before, during, and after a tornado even if you have no mobile connectivity.
- Audible siren that automatically goes off when NOAA issues a TORNADO WARNING- even if app is closed
- Push notification sent when a WARNING expires
- Red Cross shelters map
- Customisable “I’m Safe” notification sharable thru social media, text and email.