I love hiking and have now explored rural paths in a dozen countries now. I was trying today to come up with my Top Ten hikes in the world. I got to 14 in my Top Ten! It made me realise how much more of the world, I have yet to hike!
My Top Four:
- The Milford Sound Track in New Zealand, a 53.5 km walk which starts at the head of Lake Te Anau and finishes at Sandfly Point in Milford Sound. The track may only be walked in one direction and takes four days to complete, with each night spent at a pre-booked hut. Here is a video of my second day on that track:
- Hadrians Wall a 135km walk across England which I completed over four days, a couple of years back
- Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair in Tasmania, Australia
- Queen Charlottes Walk in New Zealand which has some of the most stunning scenery I have ever seen in the world.
The Remaining Top “Ten
- I could not decide between my favourite walks in England’s Lakes District. It is a tie between Seathwaite to Sty Head and Grains Gill which is a very old pack horse route,or Greendale and Middle Fell Western Fells. To be fair anywhere in the Lakes District is superb.I was surprised how uncrowded some walks were despite the number of tourists everywhere.
- Manly to Mosman in Sydney Australia, an amazing walk in the middle of forest with views of downtown Sydney and Sydney Harbour
- Mount Esja, Iceland, close to Reykjavik (30-minute drive from downtown) with stunning views and beautiful streams
- Yosemite National Park- Yosemite Falls Trail is magic
- Royal National Park, Sydney, Australia
- The Wilson’s Promontory, Australia
- Mitchell River, Victoria, Australia
- Cornish Coastal Path, England. part of the 800km SouthWest Walk
- Old Man of Hoy, Orkney, North of Scotland -which I did as a child!
- West Highland Way, Scotland
- Abel Tasman Walk, New Zealand
- The Laugavegur trek
- The Rockies
- Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village
- Mt Fuji, New Zealand
- Croajingolong National Park, Australia
- Norfolk Broads, UK
- Jay Peak Long Trail North, USA
- La Ciudad Perdida, Lost City Trek, Colombia
- Valley of the Volcanoes and Cotopaxi Volcano, Ecuador
- Hoh River Trail, Olympic National Park, USA
Where is your favourite hike?