In 2021, my goal was to walk or run 2,400KM (1,440 miles) which is kind of a lot in a year!
With lockdowns in Thailand (where I am based) shutting down pubs, clubs, restaurants, pools, gyms, beaches, parks and shops for most of the year there was little else to do but walk in 34 to 37 degrees Celsius (93 to 94 Fahrenheit).
The result was I actually reached a record for me of 3212 kilometres Yes, I should have pushed to get to that magic 2000 miles!
This is almost the same distance as Disneyland, in greater LA, CA to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Unity Temple in the suburbs of Chicago.
I walked and ran along many miles along parts of Thailand’s coast, through 15 cities including the capital Bangkok and in the countryside across multiple provinces.
You can check out more scenes in these two TikTok videos of mine:
My stepping out included some virtual walks and runs – some of which were supported by others with donations to charities:
- The Lilac Bloomsday Run (based in Spokane, Washington, USA)
- 200KM for the MS May50
- Race against Violence (Ran 200km in a virtual event from Broken Hill to Sydney)
- Guinness Book of Records 10km Attempt run
- Befrienders walk across Scotland for isolated shut ins
- The 7 bridges walk– a 28km (raising funds for Cancer research and support)
- One Run supporting getting kids in developing nations access to sports
Thanks to my walking and running buddies here in Bangkok and across the world!! I love our chats and walks.
So how do I top this? My 2022 goal is to walk and run 4,044 km (2,513) miles! Hopefully, I can get outside Thailand!
What are your fitness goals for 2022? What are your travel goals (if any)?