Sunrise this morning in Malaysia is at 0722am local time today. With the sun rise comes a bewildering lack of answers as to how one of the world’s safest aeroplanes flown by a five star airline suddenly vanished off radar screens on a routine flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.The weather was clear with no warnings.
The signs point to a catastrophic event for Malaysia Airlines MH 370. If there had been a mechanical failure, the pilot should have been able to radio for help. Did the plane suddenly break up and/or went into a very steep dive, similar to the Air France 447 experience described in the video below.
Associated Press are reporting that the disappearance of MH 370 could be caused by:
- A structural failure of the airframe caused by constant pressurisation and depressurisation of the cabin
- Corrosion of a key part of the aluminium cabin
- The sudden stoppage or explosion of both of its two Rolls-Royce Trent 800 engines simultaneously (which happened in 2008 for a Boeing 777 flying as British Airways flight 38 into London).
- Pilot disorientation which caused them to veer off course which could mean the plane is 5000km (3000 miles) in any direction from its last contact point
- Bomb – similar to what brought down Pan Am Flight 103 between London and New York in 1988
- Accidental or deliberate shoot-down by some country’s military
- Hijacking with terrorists forcing the plane into the ocean but there was no “squawk” by the pilots warning of this
- Accidental shoot-down by some country’s military
- Pilot suicide with the pilot deliberately putting the plane into a steep dive.
Adding to the mystery are that two of the European passengers listed on the passenger list but were not there at all. Both had had their passports stolen in Thailand. One was stolen in August last year and the other two years ago. How did the passports both end up being used on this flight and by whom? The passports were used by people who had bought their tickets through China Southern Airlines (this was a CSA-Malaysia Airlines codeshare). Some are saying these things point to a terrorist attack, possibly linked to the Kunming Train Station knifings. If it was a terrorist attack, however, why has no one claimed responsibility?
Malaysian Airlines asks us to pray as the search by air and sea goes on. Watching and praying seems to be all we can do.