As a travel geek, I have gained a lot of learnings and experience from 60 countries, three war zones, 1064 flights, multiple long distance train, bus and boat journeys and 21 suitcases! One of my motivations for blogging is sharing what I have learnt so that travel is easier and safer for others. Here are 100 of my travel tips arranged in ten key categories:
- Travel Tools
- En Route
- Safety and Security
- At Your Destination
Any suggestions or requests welcomed.
- Stop Wishing and Do it- Life’s Bucket List
- Pre plan your way
- Be Date Flexible
- Medical Tourism
- The Man in Seat 61 – the best guide to riding trains across the globe -ever
- How I am carrying money
- All about Visas
- Fixing the Tricky Visa issues
- Greener Travel Tips
- Fixing the Tricky Visa issues
- Getting cheap fares and deals fast-subscribe
- What the H*ll is this Code Sharing?
- Getting my cheap fares
- Location Change gives cheap flights
- Track Your Fare
- Main Airline Fees
- Get a decent seat
- Call Centre Bingo- tips for better outcomes
- All about Renting a Car
- Buy Attraction Tickets in Advance
- 20 Top Travel Tools
- Terrific Tripit
- How far is it from?
- Where to credit air miles
- United’s Very handy US Airports App
- Pin Trips
- Trip Advisor is my friend!
- App for food finding
- Great Luggage App– compare luggage between airlines
- Airport Life Travel app
- Don’t choose hotels just on cost
- Travel Tip: Mystery Rooms
- Wimdu and AirBnB
- Don’t Overlook Youth Hostel Stays!
- Don’t let the Bedbugs bite
- Eating Street Food
- Rethinking Hotel Clubs
- Check your hotel clock
- Take a “Multi Plug”
- Get to Know your currency
- Know Your Tipping
- 2015 Handy Tipping Guide
- Car Rental Clubs
- Travel insurance Rocks!
- When to use City and Museum passes
- What to do with left over foreign coins? Some very helpful comments here
- Don’t be pound foolish
- Credit Card Compatibility Fails
- Giving money to beggars – some answers to a difficult question
- Don’t Check in baggage
- Photograph your luggage
- Seven Things not to pack
- Considering Carry On
- Carry On Inconsiderates
- Take No Toiletries
- How many Shoes do you travel with?
- Test your wardrobe pre trip
- Forgetting stuff
- Reducing Lost Luggage Problems
8. En Route
- Five things you must do while waiting for plane
- How to close an aircraft overhead compartment
- How I use plane safety briefings
- All about Feet and Travel
- Driving on the wrong side of the road -it may happen to you!
- All about laptop travel
- Charge Electronics Constantly
- Travelling with Books
- Don’t do Jetlag
- Staying comfy in Long haul Economy
- Travelling with Others (without tears)
- Treat People with Respect
- Don’t Stress
- Don’t be an “introvert”
- Don’t be an A### hole
- Trusting People
- Nervous Flyers Relax
- Learn Some History
- Avoiding damaging the sights/sites
- Tips for not spoiling places for other
9. Safety and Security
- Lessons from “The Embassy” -seeing others get into trouble gives us some tip
- Don’t Be a Tourist Target!
- The Fake Wallet
- Yell No
- Getting Stuck or Delayed
- Stay Well En Route
- Left & right: 7 tips for Safe Road Crossing
- Protecting Data & Identity On the Road
- Flying with Electronics
- Back up Your Documents
10. At Your Destination
- Travel Tip #Walk
- Walking Tours are the best
- What floor am I on?
- All about #Bargaining /Haggling
- Shopping while traveling- 7 tips
- I do not carry my passport– a controversial one
- Replacing the Concierge?
- Don’t carry a Money Belt-another controversial one. I stick by my advice!
- Don’t eat near a tourist site!
- How to say I love you in 50 Languages